Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mom's Cheese Dip

Ingredients:


  • 1\2 block of Velveeta Cheese
  • whole jar of Tostitos Mild Salsa

Preperation:

Start with opening the velveeta cheese. Only take it out of the box. Leave the tin foil on it for preservation of the part you don't use. Cut cheese block in half, then unwrapping the foil from the half that you're going to use, cut it up. The dip can be made two different ways. Some people like their dip chunky with clumps of cheese and vegetables. Others like it smooth and more of a liquid. The size of the cheese squares effect how the dip results. Larger chunks of cheese squares give the dip thickness, the smaller you cut the cheese the easier it melts and becomes a liquid faster. My brother Kyler likes to eat the squares.
 
Kyler, being a blind seventeen year old, eats everything. We all sat down at the long table. By we, I mean Kyler, Barrett (13 y/o brother), Hayden (6 y/o brother), my mom and I.

"Hayden, may you please get the chips out and set them on the table?" Asks my mom.

"Ughh, okay.." replies the lazy little Hayden.

"Thank you," Mom says sternly, "Barrett, get the ketchup out for your brother."

"Why are you such a weird, Hayden? Cheese dip is good, why don;t you like it?" Barrett asks grabbing the ketchup from the refridgerator and setting it on the table.

When the cheese squares are at the designated size, pour them all into a big mixing bowl. Place the mixing bowl into the microwave and heat for two minutes.

"Mmm.. Is that cheese dip I smell?" asks Kyler, nose in the air tripping over our dog.
"Zues, You're always in the way!" he exclaims yelling in the direction of where the dog had just been lying.

"Kyler, you're always in his way." comments my mom licking her fingers. I help Hayden set the chips on the table as he takes one bag of chips handing it to his brother.

"Here Kyler, this is your bag."

"I might need two." responds Kyler sitting down at the table.

"No, one bag is more than enough." exclaims Mom.

When the cheese blocks are melted, though they may still be intact, open a jar of Tostitos Mild Salsa. Pour the jar into the cheese mix bowl. Stir thoroughly until the salsa is evenly mixed thorought the cheese. Then place back in the microwave for two more minutes.

"Boys, sit down." Mom demands my brothers. They all sit at the table and Barrett passes out the napkins. I stand beside Mom and the microwave holding four bowls in hand.

"Thanks sis," Mom states gratefully as she pulls the mixing bowl from the microwave.

After heating for the second time, mix thoroughly again, then serve steaming hot in dinner bowls.

As Mom takes one bowl from my hands, she fills it with cheese dip and hands it back to me taking another bowl. She filled one small bowl for her barely reaching even the middle of the bowl. I set it on the counter for her. The next one is Barrett's, a regular bowl filled to the middle.

"More Mom!" Exclaimed Barret as Mom puts just one more spoonful in his bowl. I hand her another regular bowl, my own, for her to fill. I walk to the table giving Barrett his bowl and setting mine down. Grabbing Hayden a plate for his ketchup, I hand mom the last bowl. The biggest bowl. Kyler's bowl. She fills it up half way equaling a whole regular bowl. I give him his bowl sitting in front of my own. Mom sits down and prays that the food would be good and strengthen our bodies.
We end then prayer with an "Amen," and all take our first bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment